Start your search now to see what’s currently on the market. Reach out to Habitat Hunters to also learn about the hidden market, to help you with the paperwork, set up viewings, and handle the details!
- Apartment for Lease Search
- House, Duplex, Condo or Townhouse for Lease Search
- Austin’s General Rental Process
When To Start Looking
The earlier you’re willing to begin your rent, the more selection you will have.
- Apartments – 30-60 days prior to the earliest you’re willing to begin your rent.
- Houses, duplexes, condos and townhomes – 1-2 weeks prior to the earliest you’re willing to begin your rent.
- The price for a rental property in Austin is typically $.80 – $2.00 per square foot.
- The range varies based on location, amenities, age, availability date, current market supply, etc.
- Application fees – $30 to $75 (non-refundable) per person to verify rental history, employment and credit.
- Security deposit – $75 to 2 months rent, depending on the property.
- Pet deposit – $150 to $600 per pet. Some portion of this may be nonrefundable.
- Utilities – Telephone, electricity, gas, water/sanitation, cable, and Internet may have installation/activation fees or require deposits, based on usage history and credit. This may total as much as $100-$200 in activation fees and deposits.
- If pets are accepted, there is usually a two-pet limit, particularly in apartments.
- Some rental properties have restrictions based on age, weight, breed, and other factors.
- Aggressive breeds are often restricted (pit bulls, Rottweiler’s, Ridge Backs, Dobermans, etc.)
Lease Terms And Bills
Lease terms will vary based on the owner, landlord, or property manager, but this is typical:
- Apartments – 6-12 month lease. Rent will not cover electricity, may or may not include water and gas, and usually includes trash pick-up and yard maintenance.
- Houses and duplexes – 12 month lease. The tenant is responsible for all bills and lawn. maintenance.
- Condos and townhomes – 12 month lease. Rent will not cover electricity, may or may not include water and gas, and usually includes trash pick-up and yard maintenance.
Rental Application Process
- A complete Rental Application from each individual over age 18.
- Income of at least 3.5 times the rent, or more.
- Good credit.
- Good rental history for the last 2-3 years.
- Application fees and security deposits, in full, usually certified funds (cashier’s checks or money orders) are required.
- A Guarantor Form, necessary if the above criteria aren’t met.
- The verification process takes approximately 1-4 days, once you apply.